Sunday, August 26, 2012

Chef du Jour

Food sure can get boring after a while if you only eat the same old stuff all the time. I do try to make a nice meal that's different than normal at least once per week. It usually occurs on Saturday or Sunday evening.

I came across an interesting recipe for Chef Boyardee Ravioli Casserole. It not only looked tasty, but figured Paul would enjoy it. That and it had been a while since I made something Itailian-ish that I would eat with Paul. What better way to enjoy a loaf of garlic bread anyway?! I didn't take a picture but it turned out quite, let's say, interesting. I personally thought it tasted really good, but it sure didn't look it. It turned out quite soupy, and with the Ricotta cheese, looked a tad unappetizing (something like barf, maybe). I still think it was good and have some leftovers for later in the week.

When I was out at the grocery store today, I thought it might be a good idea to redeem myself with Paul and make him a good old fashioned steak and potato dinner. For me, I bought a nice, fresh Atlantic salmon fillet. Well, Paul said he quite enjoyed his meal, which is good, but look at how mine turned out:

Not bad, eh? The salmon was marinated in a red pepper glaze and barbecued. Underneath is quinoa with chives and more of the red pepper glaze to keep it moist. The beets were just boiled, sans seasoning, and tasted perfect. The salad is coleslaw with bean sprouts, chives, and fresh mushrooms. The dressing is just olive oil, vinegar, honey mustard, and a dash each of salt, pepper, and white sugar.

The first thing I said after taking this picture was that "I could totally make this for mom and dad and they'd like it!". That's funny. I guess they're the only ones I ever make gourmet meals for!

Although I really enjoy making these special meals, I couldn't do it all the time. It's fun, but a lot of work, and I like to have it for a treat. I can be creative when coming up with new ideas, but usually can't share them with my spouse due to his pickiness. There was not only item on my plate tonight that he would have eaten. Enough said.

I guess if you want to enjoy these tasty items with me, you'll just have to come for a visit and ask me to cook "something new" :)

2 comments:

  1. Sure Dana. I would eat that. Looks great. I do miss having your gourmet meals now and again. I guess we need to take the drive more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm. Yum. You can make that for me any day.
    JB

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog