Monday, April 2, 2012

My Dream Job

Okay Miss J, you have inspired me to write by blog today about copy editing. Please do NOT be offended! You yourself stated, "no promises on spelling or grammer I'm a history major not an english major." In fact, I copied it directly from your blog, so it must be true!

Since high school, I've known that I not only really enjoy editing others' work, but I can't help but do it. In my career, I have to be careful about when I do it, but I do try and insert my "suggestions" at times when necessary.

This is what Wikipedia says a copy editor does (sorry for the length, it was all very important information):
Copy editing is the work that an editor does to improve the formatting, style, and accuracy of text. Unlike general editing, copy editing might not involve changing the substance of the text. Copy refers to written or typewritten text for typesetting, printing, or publication. Copy editing is done before both typesetting and proofreading, the latter of which is the last step in the editorial cycle. 
The "five Cs" summarize the copy editor's job: Make the copy clear, correct, concise, complete, and consistent. Copy editors should make it say what it means, and mean what it says.
Typically, copy editing involves correcting spelling, punctuation, grammar, terminology, jargon, and semantics, and ensuring that the text adheres to the publisher's style or an external style guide. 
Often, copy editors are also responsible for adding any "display copy", such as headlines, standardized headers and footers, and photo captions. And, although proofreading is a distinct task from copy editing, frequently it is one of the tasks performed by copy editors. Copy editors may shorten the text, to improve it or to fit length limits. This is particularly so in periodical publishing, where copy must be cut to fit a particular layout, and the text changed to ensure there are no "short lines". 
Often, copy editors are also responsible for adding any "display copy", such as headlines, standardized headers and footers, and photo captions. And, although proofreading is a distinct task from copy editing, frequently it is one of the tasks performed by copy editors. 
Copy editors are expected to ensure that the text flows, that it is sensible, fair, and accurate, and that any legal problems have been addressed. If a passage is unclear or an assertion seems questionable, the copy editor may ask the writer to clarify it. Sometimes, the copy editor is the only person, other than the writer, to read an entire text before publication and, for this reason, newspaper copy editors are considered the publication's last line of defense.
Wooooo, where can I sign up?! This really sounds like my ideal job.

I've been enjoying reading "J's" blog but I can't help but want to correct it all for her. It's all with her best interests in mind, of course! I wish I could turn off my edit button, but I can't. Every day, all day, I see things that just aren't right. A lot of it probably has to do with my A-type Achiever personality, but I'm also a little OCD (self-diagnosed) and simply anal. I cringe when I know that something needs to be fixed and have a hard time ignoring it.

Now, don't get me wrong, my goal isn't to correct everyone else, it's to give me self-satisfaction. My feel-good endorphins kick in when I'm doing something I truly enjoy, and copy editing is one of those things. Just the thought of being able to edit my dear friend's blog makes me feel all giddy.

So, I may not be able to do it as a career, but maybe I can. I guess for now I'll stick to editing as a hobby and grin and bear it when reading other people's "funny" grammar and spelling :)

Pi: 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl, you're playing my song. It drives me absolutely bananas when I read the local newspaper. Those grammatical errors appear to he printed in bold red letters. What was the editor thinking? Oh, pardon me, he/she wasn't.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog