Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Music for the Soul

Thanks to my sister, I'm now hooked on a new music group, Foster the People. When we were in Winnipeg on Good Friday, she plugged her ear bud into my head saying, "here, listen to this and tell me what you think". Well, it was funny because the song started out with an awesome beat and I was bopping along. Then they started singing and I go along with, "... I'm awesome, I'm awesome...". She laughs at me saying, "I knew you'd think that's what the words are!" The actual words are, "Yet again I'm hustling". Duh :p Well, I like the song anyway. Here, take a listen yourself:


I decided to download their entire album last weekend and am pleasantly surprised. The music is fresh and always has a great beat. They also use a lot of electronically-generated sounds, so it's fun to listen to. I can also understand the words! HAHA

Overall, I have a pretty varied taste in music. My all-time favourite group is Our Lady Peace (if you didn't already know that...) but I've been known to listen to all types of stuff. For example, I like:

-The Dixie Chicks (now defunct)
-Spice Girls (same)
-Carrie Underwood
-Avril Lavigne
-pretty much any 70's rock band, you know, the kind that you only feel right listening to when you sing falsetto "yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhh" at the end of any good bit in the song
-Backstreet Boys
-David Archuleta (from American Idol fame)
-The Moody Blues
-Queen
-Eminem (yes, really)
etc etc etc

The point is, I really don't discriminate in my music tastes because there's a lot of good stuff out there. I've played in a jazz band, and learned classical piano. I enjoy singing in church and in choirs. I simply enjoy anything that suits my mood and makes me feel good. As Henry Wadsworth Longfellow put it so well:

                                              And the night shall be filled with music,
                                              And the cares that infest the day
                                             Shall fold their tents like the Arabs,
                                             And as silently steal away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog