Sunday, October 14, 2012

Bags in the Bins

Guess what's 95% done? Bagging the leaves in our yard! We went at it for a few hours this afternoon and got most of it done. There's only one medium-sized pile left now. That means even the front yard is done! I'm so happy about it. So happy.

The bad part about the leaves is having to get rid of them once they're bagged. We now have a roll-out garbage bin and it only holds 3-4 bags, along with our regular waste. Since they only come once a week, and we've got about 30 bags total, it will take about 10 weeks. Yikes. Paul said he'll throw some in the truck when going to work to dump them in the bin in the area he's working. I hate to use someone else's bin, that they're paying for, but I also don't want to have to pay to take them to the dump. Catch 22, eh.

For a while there I contemplated paying the neighbour kid $20 to come over, but the positive part of the work I did was that it burned a lot of calories. Just today I estimated about 500. That one night when I raked for an hour straight, really hard with lots of gusto, it was probably about the same. I hardly sweat that night though because the wind was so cold.

It's just a good thing we've taken care of our yard another year before it snows. I'll always remember our first spring here when the snow melted and we discovered that not only was our yard low, but the previous owners had not raked it. That was quite the sight. I'll never, ever let that happen again if I can help it!

So, yet another leaf season is over! Amen!

2 comments:

  1. Does your dump not have a free drop off spot for compostables?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't look like they do, but I'll contact the city directly to ask.

      Delete

Search This Blog