Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Eggs!

Wow, post #82... and I'm running out of ideas! I hope it's just writer's block and something interesting comes to me tomorrow.

Until then, the only thing I could think to write about today is eggs. Yes, eggs. They're just so versatile! They can be scrambled, fried, poached, deviled, hard and soft boiled, shirred, basted, pickled and coddled (Wikipedia!). They're also found in omelettes, soups, salads, homemade meatballs, meatloafs, and burgers, fried rice, fritattas, egg foo yung, and MANY more ethnic dishes. You also use them in baking pies, cakes, custards, meringues, and other yummy desserts. Wow, who knew?!

I love eggs. In the past I didn't eat them very often but found a new admiration for them when changing my eating habits a few years ago. They are such a great substitute for meat, so I eat them at least once per day. For a long time I would eat only egg whites, but I got sick of the taste so switched to the full egg. Now I often buy omega-enriched ones for an extra vitamin kick.

Each weekday begins with a fried egg -- no runny goo allowed! -- and other breakfast items. I even share a bit with Casey :) My favourite traditional egg preparation is omelettes, because you can put whatever you want in them. I like mushrooms and spinach, but will add turkey bacon when I have it around. For desserts, a good lemon meringue can't be beat!

Have you eaten an egg today? You should!

Eggs are great for the eyes.
People who eat eggs every day lower their risk of developing cataracts.
One egg contains 6 grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acids.
Regular consumption of eggs may help prevent blood clots, stroke, and heart attacks.
They are a good source of choline. Choline is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system.
They contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.
Eggs are one of the only foods that contain naturally-occurring vitamin D.
Eggs promote healthy hair and nails because of their high sulphur content and wide array of vitamins and minerals.

Any one of those reasons is good enough for me to eat eggs! So, what are you waiting for?


Eggy pi of the day: 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog