Friday, March 9, 2012

The Best and Worst of Mexico

Okay, here's my list of the most-awesome and least-awesome parts of our trip to Mexico.

The Weather
Good: Lots of sun, periodic clouds to shade us from the heat, and no rain
Bad: one day was so windy that we couldn't be on the beach or by the pool because the wind created clouds and took away the sun

The Temperature
Good: nice and warm during the day but not so cold at night that we froze (and were prepared, anyway)
Bad: the room was really humid, even with the air conditioner on, and I was often chilled at night. Either it was too hot or too cold inside

The Beach
Good: lots of chairs to lounge on and warm sand to dip your toes in
Bad: the vendors just get annoying. It's nothing new, but "no, I don't want to buy anything and if I do, I'll come see you."

The Pool
Good: the kiddie pool always had chairs to lounge on and was close to a bathroom
Bad: the adult pool was where the fun was, and had a swim-up bar, but chairs were NEVER available. Also, the water was so cold!

The Food
Good: plenty of options, including many "American-style" items
Bad: too much food, all day long! I couldn't stop myself! There's a reason why I have weight issues, people!

The Other Guests
Good: Canadians
Bad: everyone else. I'm not saying I dislike Americans or Mexicans or anyone else for that matter, I just don't have any thing in common with them. Canadians rule!

The Hotel Staff
Good: our maid; bartenders Carlos, Jorge, Antonio, and Eli; bus-boy Paulo; the girl at the Steakhouse during the lunch hour that doesn't seem to speak English (I liked her anyway); and the entertainment staff
Bad: the "nameless" bartender who pocketed the tips instead putting them in the drawer, and the server with too much makeup!

The Entertainment
Good: all the girls were awesome, especially Alma who we got confused while playing poker; also, the dancers that came in for the shows were extremely talented
Bad: the Michael Jackson impersonator (ugh)

The Toilet Paper
Good: it was softer than the stuff we have at home! What the deuce?!
Bad: ummmmmmm...

The Television Lineup
Good: enough American tv to get by on
Bad: I watched more CSI in Mexico during that week than I've watched in a year in Canada

The Feral Cats
Good: very cute and cuddly-looking
Bad: not so cuddle-able... trust me. Last year I got clawed.

The Beverages
Good: lots of variety of juices and soda, and very tasty cocktails
Bad: the "orange juice" wasn't pure orange, it was that sweetened crap you can buy at McDonald's. Also, they had only Pepsi, not Coke products. Ick. The milk was more creamy than we're used to, so although delicious in a Mudslide, I probably wouldn't drink it straight.

The resort definitely lives up to its 4.5 star rating, and all-inclusive really is the way to go. I just wish I knew when to say "no" to the food! At the end though, all I was eating was pizza and hot dogs because I was sick of the different meats and Mexican-style food. It was all good, I just wanted something more normal. At least there's plenty of fruits and vegetables around for some healthy choices.

I think we've gotten our fill of the Riu Jalisco now for a few years. We definitely recommend the resort for people of any age! Next time we come to the west coast of Mexico I think we'll stay up the coast a little bit, near Bucieras, which we haven't yet visited. Now we're looking forward to our next vacation, which is most likely Scotland in August 2013.

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog