Sunday, January 1, 2012

It's 2012. Let's have some π.

It's a new year. 2012. Wow. I remember ringing in the new millenium in my parents' basement like it was yesterday. So, here we are, well I am anyway, attempting to try something new. Let's not call it a resolution because in my entire history of making those stupid things, I don't recall ever following through with one.


My whole "neat idea" was to incorporate my oh-so-interesting thoughts into an online journal and do it while having an actual goal for the year. That goal is, if you haven't guessed already, to have some Pi. Not just a couple pieces though. I'm talking a whole lotta pi. As much as my peanut brain can handle.


This decision has caused some FOF, however, as I hate making up a cool thing to do and sharing with a whole bunch of people, just to completely bomb after a few weeks. So, I've set the bar a tad lower than originally planned.


Instead of a literal piece of pi a day, I'm going to attempt to just incorporate it as much as possible. By incorporation, I specifically mean I am going to try to memorize it in as long a sequence as possible, without going completely mad. Hopefully my husband doesn't go mad in the process instead...


Now that I made that decision, I want to share a bit of pi info with you (thx Wikipedia!):


π (sometimes written pi) is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of any Euclidean circle's circumference to its diameterπ is approximately equal to 3.14. π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction having integers in both the numerator and denominator (unlike 22/7). Consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never repeatsThroughout the history of mathematics, there has been much effort to determine π more accurately and to understand its nature; fascination with the number has even carried over into non-mathematical culture. Perhaps because of the simplicity of its definition, π has become more entrenched in popular culture than almost any other mathematical concept, and is firm common ground between mathematicians and non-mathematicians. Reports on the latest, most-precise calculation of π are common news items; the record as of September 2011, if verified, stands at 5 trillion decimal digits.


Wow. Pretty neat-o. What I find most interesting is that it's an "irrational number" and "there has been much effort to determine (it) more accurately and to understand its nature...". Sounds a little like how I feel about myself... but that's another blog :)

All in all, I'm still not really sure how I feel about this, so please don't beat me up if I end up failing. It truly might be hard enough just to keep up a journal since I've had such a bad track record. But hey, I need to be confident too, so I'm just going to say what the little engine said, over and over and over... "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..."

Happy New Year, friends. For today, it's 3.141.

Search This Blog