Friday, January 13, 2012

A Fantasy World

Throughout high school I was friends with "J": a tall, obnoxious (in a good way), strange (also in a good way), fantasy book-reading, girl. I never really thought much about those books until a few years ago, when I also became interested in the fantastical worlds of elves and dwarves, princes and princesses, wizards and  warlocks, and fire-breathing dragons. The Lord of the Rings trilogy took my mind to a place I never thought I'd enjoy as much as I did -- and still do.


What is it about those alternate worlds and realities that takes me and others in? I guess it's like a breath of fresh air, so to speak, in that it's so different from our world that it takes us away for a few moments. I find myself believing I'm actually there, living the life of just another servant girl in a world far, far away.


Most recently I discovered George R. Martin's 5-book series, "A Song of Ice and Fire", beginning with book one: "Game of Thrones". I had heard it was made into a TV miniseries airing on HBO, but I was more interested in reading the books than watching the show. Now that I'm really getting into the book, I can't wait until I finish so I can transition over to the tv version. Lucky for me, a full-season download will be available by that time, so I'll get to immerse myself in it until it's done.


Interestingly, although my grade five teacher read us "The Hobbit", I have not yet read The Lord of the Rings. I'm a little concerned that I'll be disappointed so many parts were left out, as is the case for many books made into movies or TV. I literally LOVE the movies so much I don't want to ruin it for myself. With The Hobbit coming to theatres this December, I'll have to make it through the next 11 months immersed in Game of Thrones (and the two other books in the trilogy). 


I guess I've felt lately that the lives of others, whether in some off-the-wall TLC special or in a great fantasy novel, are simply more interesting than mine. I'm not interested in watching other "regular folk" traipse around fighting justice, or cheating on your ex-best friend's boyfriend, or hanging out dishing the dirt on the newest invention in rocket science. It's just all too "normal" for me lately.


So, I'll just stay in my own little world, knowing that winter is coming and that I better be careful of the direwolves...


My piece of pi today: 3.141592653589

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog