Saturday, January 7, 2012

Into the Wild

After all basic Saturday chores were complete, I settled down to watch a movie with my favourite furry couch-mate, Casey. We own lots of movies, and the cable showed nothing of interest, so I picked out a title I'd only seen once but remember really enjoying. "Into the Wild" it was, starring Emile Hirsch. Munchies, movie, cuddles: what more could I ask for on a lazy afternoon?


As I've started to look more inward lately, this movie really struck a chord with me. The story goes like this: a young man graduates from a prestigious college in 1990 and embarks on a two-year exploration of self, leaving behind all things of worth, breaking all ties, and embarking on an adventure of a lifetime. Embracing the lifestyle of a modern-day American gypsy, he travels around the country meeting new people and creating new experiences while learning the information he needs to be able to spend some time in the Alaskan outback. "Alexander Supertramp's" much-awaited journey north becomes fatal after the river he once crossed becomes impassible and is forced to live off the land. Unfortunately the delirium had already started to set in as, even with the aid of a "wild plants for dummies" book, he mistook an inedible plant for an edible one. True story.


I can't imagine leaving behind everything I know, but I understand why he did it. He only went to college to satisfy his parents, but always knew there was more to life than just working for the man. Maybe what he did was extreme, but it made me realize that we really do need to take more time for ourselves and to enjoy what God has given us.


Not only did "Alex" experience nature, he met people along the way that he somehow influenced or made a mark on. In Northern California he brought a "rubber tramp" couple back together after their relationship had become torn, and in Arizona he so touched the heart of an old man that he nearly became an adopted grandson before heading to Alaska.


It makes me think of the people in my life and how I should pay more attention to how they affect me and what they can give me. Why were we put here anyway? To just live and work and have a family and then die? It all seems like a waste if we don't do something more of value with ourselves. Mr. Supertramp really makes me want to invest more time in things that mean a lot to me and to really be something.


If you haven't seen this movie, I highly suggest you do. I only saw it because I was on an Academy Award nominee kick a few years ago, and I was not at all disappointed.


All this pi has given me some indigestion, so I'm taking a few days off... still on 3.14159265.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog