Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How Lofty is That Goal?

Let's not say I'm  bad at making and reaching goals, let's just say I struggle. I actually don't even like the word goal. What is a goal, anyway?


Wikipedia defines it as: a desired result a (person) envisions, plans and commits to achieve—a personal or organizational desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Sure, I've got those! Why do I have to put a name to it though?

In TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly... more to come on this topic in a future blog), goal-setting is both common and encouraged. I remember the first goal I set during a meeting; I wanted to lower my blood pressure. Unfortunately, you can't just say "I wanna do ... " whatever it is. Goals need to be SMART, that is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. Just saying I'm going to lower my blood pressure because I want to be healthy later in life doesn't cut it. However, it was my first goal-setting exercise and I've learned more since.

My second goal was to "exercise 30 minutes at a time on at least three days during the next week". I did make it through week one, but did NOT continue in the second. That goal simply wasn't, for me anyway, realistic. It's not that I couldn't physically attain it, I just didn't have the motivation to. It wasn't I felt strongly about achieving.

I really don't know why I can't verbally make goals and keep them. More often, I will end up achieving things just because I wanted to do them, not because I set some actual goal for myself. When I started my current job, I actually thought I'd have my CPM (Certified Payroll Manager) designation within 18 months. Seriously!? I would have had to complete one course every three months in order to do that, and it simply wasn't realistic to even think that might happen. Luckily, I'm more than happy with my current designation of PCP (Payroll Compliance Practitioner) that I got after taking three courses in a year. Now that wasn't so lofty, was it?

I'm by no means suggesting that goals are dumb, they just don't seem to work for me. It's like I psyche myself out just by having them. Once I've written it down, I get all nervous about it and work myself up so much I fail. That's why I like "vision boards".

A vision board looks like this:
I really like this one, actually, because it combines both words and pictures. Tonight at TOPS I shared my own personal vision board, on which many things contained have already happened.


The point is to go through magazines and cut out pictures and/or words that speak to you, that mean something, that inspire. They should be things that you aspire for phsyically, emotionally, and materially.





Regardless of what works for me, I have to remember not to beat myself up if I don't meet a so-called goal. If I truly wanted it, I'd get it. No matter how lofty, it may seem, anything is achievable with determination and perseverance. It's taken quite some time to realize that, but that's okay. I feel pretty good with the way things are going in my life and, with the help of my vision board, it can only keep on going.


Hungry for some pi? Try this one: 3.1415926535.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog