Monday, November 5, 2012

Performance Perfection... okay, not quite.

You know I hate to toot my own horn (yeah, right) but this is the first year since I started my career in 2007 that I feel entitled to receive a high score on my annual performance review. Not only have I rolled with the punches (regularly), but I've become very adept in my technical abilities with our system and well-versed in most areas of our payroll processing.

The only payroll course I'd taken pre-current job was a basic payroll course in college way, way back in 2005. I only took it because the curriculum required me to, in order to give me my diploma. Otherwise, I would NOT have taken that course. Well, in hindsight, I'm really glad I did. I may not have used a heck of a lot of payroll knowledge in my previous employment, but it was enough to get me into my current job and I'm very happy for that.

Once I got my new job in 2010, I took the opportunity to enroll in payroll courses right away. Not only would they pay for it, but I'd be able to further my career just by taking them. A year later, I had completed the required courses for my Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) certification. I feel pretty spectacular about that, actually, and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Since then, I've grown a lot in my new role. I'm training new employees, taking on new tasks with more responsibility, providing guidance and leadership to my team, and enjoying myself while doing so. I completed my personal review this morning and really had to contemplate the reason for marking myself so high. In the past I've always been cautious about doing so, because I'd rather mark myself low and be surprised by a higher grade from my manager later on. This time, however, I feel differently and hope they do too.

At least I can attempt to sell myself and justify why I feel I'm so awesome. Gotta try it and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog