Friday, May 18, 2012

Quiet, Non-Lonely Day

Friday saw a quiet day in the office. My co-worker even decided to take the afternoon off (I said "go ahead") as there simply wasn't enough to do. The phones weren't ringing, and the emails weren't coming in, so I would have done the same thing. I'm saving my days off for the future, so had no problem sticking around. It just meant I could get a few things done in peace.

I hate to say it but, I'm quite the loner. I prefer to work alone, and am much more productive if left to my own devices. Someone in the office asked me if I was lonely now that the co-worker that sat next to me moved on to other opportunities. I had to be honest and say "no", as I'd be lying if I said anything else. Not only am I not lonely, but I'm quite happy taking on the extra work that was created by her departure. I'm simply not as busy as I was a month ago, so can easily take it on.

Being a loner is a constant struggle for me, however, as it also means I have difficulty making friends. It's not that I don't want to, I'm just not sure how to. It doesn't help that I spent three years working in a two-person office, and the only other interactions were with other employees that didn't work right next to me, and those opportunities weren't often. I just hope I don't come off as cold and anti-social, because that's truly not how I want to be portrayed.

I hope there are more quiet days in the office to come, which may give me some chances to be more social and make some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog